Saturday, April 18, 2015

Weeks 95/96--Hammy





Happy Monday everyone!! 

Things are going GREAT over here. We had transfers this week, and my companions name is Elder Samoala. He's from Western Samoa, been out about 15 month, and couldnt be a more perfect last companion. 

Here's just a few updates on the adventures here in Hawaii. On Tuesday, I went on exchanges with the Elder Greene down in Ke'ei ward. That's the ward that covers the whole bottom half of the island. Anyway, we decided to start the morning doing a little tracting. So we headed down to this road called "Rock Bottom" (we literally hit rock bottom) and started knocking on these run down houses in the middle of nowhere. The first house we went to didn't really have a front door, so we yelled, "Aloha" and this guy popped out of the urinal next to the house. He looked at us, yelled, "Come back in an hour, I'm busy." okay...so on to the next house. We walk up and there is a lady outside and she says in perfect English, no accent, "Hello. I am from Mexico. I don't speak English." Whhhaaaaattt? Good thing Elder Greene knew a little bit of the Southern Dialect and surprised the lady by striking up a conversation. Short story shorter, she told us she was Catholic. On to the next house! We walk up and there a giant pig tied to a tree. A pig. Tied to a tree. We knock on the door and it's a blind girl! SHE TURNS OUT TO BE A LESS ACTIVE MEMBER. Her pig's name is Hamilton, but they call it Hammy. So we teach her and then head over back to the guy who told us to come back. He is now shirtless, sweating profusely, and working in the garden. He turns around and looks at us and yells, "BAD DAY. IM BUSY. LEAVE ONE OF YOUR BOOK THINGS." So we dropped off a pamphlet, asked if there was anything we could do, and he said no, so we left. As we were getting in the car, he yells for us to come back. So we do, and he says, "There is something you could do for me. I don't have a car. Will you take my credit card, go to the store, and buy a sandwich and a drink?" Whhhhaaattt? This is the first time I've ever been asked to do that. But I guess when you ask if there is anything we can do, you have to be expecting anything. We were already late to go clean the temple, so we ran to the gas station, and bought as much stuff as we could with our own card, and then drove it back to him. I can't believe he trusted us with his card...Anyway, lesson of the day. If you are ever bored, go to Rock Bottom Road. 

Saturday was an awesome day. Our investigator Kaneke, who has committed to be baptized, invited us over to go lift with him. When we got there, his Mom was interested in sitting in on a lesson. So in regular p-day clothes, we taught Kaneke, his wife, and his Mom the Plan of Salvation. Afterward, the Mom was like, "I have to go now, but I have a lot of questions." We go to dinner there tomorrow. Then we went to go do service at the car guy's house, and we were working on his 1968 Charger. Usually, he doesn't allow missionaries to really talk about the gospel, but we working and he asked if we had dinner. We didn't have dinner, and so we said no. We ate dinner with him that night, and so we asked if we could share a message, and he agreed! IT was the first time in a long time that a missionary has shared the gospel with him. 

Anyway, things are awesome. I love you all! I hope you all have a good week! 

Love,
Elder Gleave






Hey Family!

first and for most, HAPPY EASTER ya'll. I hope everyone had a good week this week. Especially general conference. Personally, I liked the one with Elder Holland, but that happens literally every single general conference. 

So this week is transfers, which means I am officially starting the last transfer of my mission. When I think about any sporting event, when there is two minutes left on the clock, and the game is on the line, that's when the player zeros in. When his focus is at his peak. When every move is crucial and every mistake can cost him the game. And that's where I am at. The final stretch. It was weird watching general conference because usually every talk is when I am focusing on the mission, but every talk I was thinking "That's what I need to be doing when I go home." AHHH I hate this. 

This week has been good. Short as always, but good. My companion is being transferred, so we have been spending some time saying goodbye to people. Nothing out of the unusual happened. We ate four Easter dinners yesterday, so that was fun! I honestly have no idea what to write about...just know that now is the time to end strong. 

But I love you all! 

… We cannot earn our way into heaven; the demands of justice stand as a barrier, which we are powerless to overcome on our own.
But all is not lost.
The grace of God is our great and everlasting hope. …
But the grace of God does not merely restore us to our previous innocent state. If salvation means only erasing our mistakes and sins, then salvation—as wonderful as it is—does not fulfill the Father’s aspirations for us. His aim is much higher: He wants His sons and daughters to become like Him. …
Another element of God’s grace is the opening of the windows of heaven, through which God pours out blessings of power and strength, enabling us to achieve things that otherwise would be far beyond our reach. It is by God’s amazing grace that His children can overcome the undercurrents and quicksands of the deceiver, rise above sin, and “are perfect[ed] in Christ” (Moroni 10:32).
Happy Easter! 
Elder Gleave

No comments:

Post a Comment