Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Week Six: Kama'aina


Hey Gleavers!
Miss yo crazy faces all four of you! SO heres the big news...IM STAYING IN KAHULUI!!! nothings changing really. My companion got called DL and Elder Basag is getting a new greenie Marshallese missionary to train. So we will have two brown kids and two white kids in one pad! its gonna be sick. I cant believe its been 6 weeks already. It feels like I just got out here! But when I look back at where I started, I can see the progression ive made spiritually and in this area as a missionary. I guess its kinda like when you are growing up with someone, you dont notice that they grow because they grow a little each day, but when you look back at their pictures you realize just how much theyve grown! thats the same here. sometimes its hard to see the growth youve made if its gradual, but if you take a step back and look at the progress youve made then it makes appraciate the lords hand in your work. I asked my Zone Leader who is leading this week to go back to Oahu if he had any last minute advice for me, and he said "utalize this transfer to make the necessary changes to make the rest of the transfer successful. You have to futher your commitment to serve the Lord, then help your companion become more commited as well." I really took that advice to heart. I thought that was really good advice, and something that I am going to do. This transfer we are going to work harder. I know that if we put in the extra time, miracle will happen. 
So today we went to Haleakala! All the missionaries woke up at 3 in the morning so we could make it to the top before the sunrise. Since its 10000 ft at the top, its like pretty freezing. like probably 40 degrees. Just picture like 20 missionaries huddled at the top of a mountain with blankets and short sleeve tshirts on. hahaha it was awesome! The sunrise was so pretty. You could see for miles above the clouds. You could turn one way and see the valley of Maui below you and turn the other way see the two mountains on big island. Sometimes being stuck in Kahului, the more city area of the island, without cars, its hard to realize you are on a island. But when I was up there, with the whole island before me, I began to realize how blessed I am to be on a mission here in Hawaii. Sorry if my english is really bad right now. I feel like ive been hit with a brick in the face im so tired. thats another thing!

I dont know what it is about being on a mission, but im always tired!! It super weird!! Maybe its cuz of the spirit, maybe its cuz we are on bikes, but Im getting more sleep then in college and each day Im so tired! Will said this would happenen, but I didnt think it would. I guess he was right.

So Ive had one really cool experience this week! So things got a little crazy on friday. Elder Powell, our district leader, had a training meeting in Lahina. So all the DLs got into one car, and so we had 5 missionaries together with nothing to do. So the Wialuku area (the area next to us) had a companionship that had struggles getting out and working, so my companion, and Elder Basag (the one I live with) went with one of the Elders to go work in their district. So thats not that important, but that means I was left one of the Greenie missionaries I came out with. The zone leaders told us that we were giving a blessing, and so we asked who we were giving a blessing to and what for? They said that they didnt know, just that there was a YSA member who had a brother in the hospital who was a nonmember who needed to recieve a blessing. So we didnt know who he was, where he was, or what the blessing was for. The Zls gave us a number to call, and said that the blessing was suppose to be at 1130. So we called the people...no answer. 30 minutes later we called...no answer. it was about 1155, and we figured this blessing wasnt going to happen, so we were about to leave when we got a call from the girl! She said that we needed to be there in the next half an hour to give the blessing. So we rushed over there as fast as we can! when we were in the car, we decided that I would give the blessing. I thought, I can do this, Ive given blessings to my sick friends before! When we got there, the girl was like okay do you need to know anything about him? And I was like is he just sick? And she bubbly when we got there, but then suddenyl she got super quite and just said, "well the doctors found cancer in him. He's going into to sugery in a half and hour." Woah...This isnt, oh ive got a sore thraot can you give me a blessing? This is possibly a life or death situation. At first I was scared. I mean what do you say? But as I quickly thought about it, I knew the Lord knew the desires of my heart. I knew that the blessing would be given by the spirit and not me! I immediately became calm and confident. Then we walked into the room. It was as if it was taken out of a movie. The brother was sitting in the bed, with the girlfriend sitting in the chair next to him clutching his arm as if she was never wanted to let go, tear tracks on her cheeks. The mother was standing a little behind, giving concerned glances from us, to the son, then to the daughter. The boy was so young. Not much older then me. He had a blank look on his face, as if he didnt know what to think. He seemed almost in shock. When we asked him his full name, his voice was quiet. It was strong, yet had a hint of fear. Then I was nervous again. As I started the blessing, my legs began shaking. but then something amazing happened. The Spirit overcame me, and I was directed to bless him with a successful surgery. I was guided to give him a bless of comfort, strength, and healing. It was weird, because I didnt have anytime to prepare before the blessing, and I had no idea what to say. But as I was giving the blessing, the words just flowed out of my mouth. When I closed the prayer, the girlfriend and the sister had tears in their eyes. I know the spirit of the Lord was present in that room, and their hearts, as well as mine were touched that afternoon. The Sister walked us out, and thanked us for the blessing. She said she felt more at peace now, and even though her brother wasnt a member she said she knew he'd be okay. Later that night, the zone leaders said they talked to the dad, and he said that the son was doing well. That he had a successful surgery! And he said the dad was so very thankful, and the ZL said he thinks the dad is going to be baptized. In my patriartical blessing it says that I will have to use my priesthood power in times where there is little time to prepare, and the consiquences will be dire, even eternal. And I never thought that would happen. I never thought that I would give the blessing to anyone who was in a life or death situation. But I know that this is what it was taking about in my blessing. That this exact situation is what my blessing is refering to. Its amazing what the priesthood can do for us. That it is GODS power to heal and do proper ordiences here on this Earth. I have a firm testimony that the priesthood is real, that it has been restored to man so man can organize Christ's true chruch on this land. I feel blessed that I am able to use this priesthood power, acording to Gods will, to help other people.

Well beside that, this week has been pretty slow. Me and Basag went on a lot of exchanges this week because Elder Powell is dying (ending his mission) this week and had a lot of things to gather together before he leaves. I guess my companion wanted to be with him the whole time, idk. But it was good to be with Basag! He has a lot of fire and a lot of drive as a missionary! 

We are still working on getting an investigator to church, but we are starting to get more of the ward members involved in missionary work. The Bishop has been really helpful, and I think we are going to starting getting more member referals and more success! 

Missionaries are really goofy! I dont know if thats the lack of woman contact, or the fact that we have to entertain ourselves without elctronics, but we are weird. super weird. we LOVE catching cockroaches and tourtering them. We eat ice cream and ramen for breakfast. we have dance parties to MOTAB with flashing bike lights. We are weird. 

I cant wait for that first baptizm! I pray everyday that my investigators hearts will be softened, that they might act on the promptings of the spirit. I know one day it will happen as long as I stay faithful. I know that I am brought here to learn patients, how to work hard, and to be humble, and that when eventual success happens, I know it will be of the Lord. 

I love hearing from all of you! Keep sending me an updates of life I love it! And I love all of you!
Keep strong, pray often, and I know the Lord will bless your life!
Much love! 
Elder Gleave

No comments:

Post a Comment