Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Best Two Years of My Life



May 19th

Dear Family and Friends,


It feels incredibly bitter-sweet to write this email. It's hard to put into words the things I feel right now. I love my mission, more than I ever thought possible. 


First off, I would like to thank all those who supported me for these two years. I know without this support, I would have struggled a lot more than I did. I can't tell you how many times I was struggling in my mission, and a friendly email or unexpected card lifted my spirits to keep me going. Most of all, I felt your prayers. Believe me, I felt your prayers. Thank you family for supporting me and loving me on this grand adventure. There was many times that your example kept me working hard and pushing through. 

Second off, I would like to thank all the wonderful saints in Hawaii. One thing I learned is that paradise is less of where you are, and more of WHO you surround yourself with. This place is amazing, simply because the people here are amazing. I'm afraid to go home, because my heart resides here. 

Now these past two years have been an incredible whirlwind. I wish everyone could experience what a mission is like, simply so they could see what life changing effect is has on you. I have experienced things I never thought I would ever experience. Never in my wildest dreams. It's been the best of times, and it's been the worst of times. Never have I felt so loved, and never have I felt so alone. A mission is a strange experience
It is a trial and a test. This poem that I did not write practically sums it up: 
A mission throws at you the worst
Yet, teaches you the best.
I've never been so happy,
I've never been so depressed.
I've never felt so forsaken,
I've never felt so blessed.
I've never been so confused,
Things have never been so clear.
I've never felt my Heavenly Father so distant,
He's never been so near.
I've never been so discouraged,
I've never been so full of hope.
I feel I could go on for forever,
I think I've come to the end of my rope.
I've never had it quite so easy,
I've never had it quite so tough.
Things have never been so smooth,
Things have never been so rough.
I've never traveled through more valleys,
I've never ascended more peaks.
I've never met so many nice people.
I've never met so many freaks!
I've never had so many ups,
I've never had so many downs.
I've never worn so many smiles,
I've never had so many frowns.
I've never been so lonely,
I've never had so many friends.
BOY, I hope this is over soon,
GOSH, I hope this never ends.
WELCOME TO MY BEST TWO YEARS.
"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."
2 Timothy 4:7

I love you all, and we will see you soon!! 
Pau Hana. 
ALLLOOOHHAA!!!
Elder Gleave










May 11th

Dear family,


It was good to see you yesterday! I really loved seeing your beautiful faces and good to talk to TESS as a new member of the family!! 


This morning we woke up at 4:00am to go see the sunrise in Mauna Kea, then we drove to go do an Emu in Hawi, and just got back. Ergo, I'm exhausted. I think this week to save you all some time deciphering the gibberish my email would probably be, I will just send you all some pictures. 

Don't you think for a second though that me not sending a long email makes me seem like I don't like my mission. I just want to drop a quick note, that as I start my last week, I want everyone to know that there has been nothing so influencial in my life as a mission. This is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me, and I wouldnt give it up for the world. I love you all!

Elder Gleave
I made the head lei by the way!









May 4th

Hahaha I accidently sent that. I didnt mean for it to be THAT short. 

Well, today we did an Umu with our recent convert and all of the missionaries, so that took a while. And now we are going to go play some ping pong with some Tongans. 

This week was awesome. I am just trying to remain strong. I am excited what the Lord has in store for me the next few weeks. We finally got our investigator Kaneke to church, and it couldn't have gone better. We were laughing and joking around. I was so happy. When we were introducing visitors at church, he jumped off the chair and said, "I'm Kaneke, and I'm here to learn!" It was awesome. He is quickly becoming one of my best friends. He made church so much fun! 

We went over to our Samoan investigator's house and he taught us how to jam out on the keyboard. Man I am going to miss this place. 

Well, that's all for today. Love you all!

Elder Gleave

No comments:

Post a Comment