Sunday, April 20, 2014

Week 45--Hulk Hogan and The King


Happy Easter week!

I hope that the big bunny will bring everyone some goodies and won't scare too many children. I never understood Easter.
Jesus Christ Death/Resurrection=Giant Bunny + Hardboiled eggs
That's okay, I don't have to question, just enjoy. But that being said, it's important to look past all the vibrant colors and investigate the real meaning of Easter. And that is the Atonement of Jesus Christ. No single event has shaped or will shape the history of all mankind quite like the suffering, death, and subsequent resurrection of Jesus Christ. I will always be grateful for that great sacrifice, yet I still struggle to comprehend the magnitude of such a sacrifice. The Atonement can be incredibly deep, and it's easy to find yourself lost in such depths, but
I think when we take a step back, and study the overall meaning of the Atonement, the simpleness is where you will find the peace. I remember in the MTC when I first gained a testimony of Jesus Christ. It stemmed from the scripture in Alma 7:11-13, which reads:
"And he shall go forth suffering pains and affliction and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon them death, that he might loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon them their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities. Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me."

I love that scripture because it gives me hope. Hope that even though there may be no other person on the face of this Earth who knows exactly what I am going through, at any given time, there is one person who does, and that is the Savior and Reedemer of the world. He's been through it all. Every heartbreak, every pain we've ever experienced, everytime we've felt hopeless and utterly alone, he's been there, and he wants to help us. I love Jesus!
This week was not quite as exciting as last week, but still good nonetheless! The other missionaries had a baptism in the my ward and it was of this wonderful lady named Malia. She is married to this big Maori guy from New Zeleand, who hasn't been to church for a while. She had been taking the lessons for 16 years, and never wanted to be baptized, and then she came to church one Sunday by herself and looked at us and said, "I'm ready. I want to be baptized." So we had that baptism last week, and the spirit was super strong. A lot of her family came out from all across Hawaii and all across the world. There was a family from Australia who live "way out in the bush" and they are six hours away from the nearest ward, and they are the only members who live in their town, so they are allowed to hold sacrament meeting in their house. Pretty neat, huh?
One week, this mentally handicaped kid named David showed up to church. He told us he use to come there as a little boy and loved it, so he came back to church. There are three wards that meet every Sunday and he goes to all three every Sunday. He's super funny and always quotes Hulk Hogan in the chapel after Sacrament meeting. Whenever we see him he looks at us and says, "You betta not mess with the king" and does a little leg jive just like Elvis Presley. Well we always teach him lessons, which usually result in an arm wrestling contest or him quoting Dog the Bounty Hunter, and Davi
d came to Darryl's baptism. He was so insipired by all of it, that he went up to our bishop and asked him if he was allowed to be baptized! Our Bishop said yes! So this week he went up and bore his testimony, (all by himself) and said "Aloha my brothers and sister. I just wanted to say I know this church is true. I use to come here as a little boy. I know this church is true. There is some of you still here, and you guys are amazing. And I just want to say this church is true. Aloha. Thanks." And he sat down. It was pretty cool! I'm not sure if he thinks the church is true or not yet, I will let you know. But he is the greatest, every week showing up in a different suit that he got from Goodwill that week. We watch the resotoration DVD with him and after he was like, "Oh yeah, I love that movie. I watch it all the time!" I can't wait for his baptism.
Well in other news, my last ward mission leader named their baby after me. Bennett Hwang, really rolls off the tounge! Love you all and have a good Easter!

Elder "Hippity Hoppity" Gleave





No comments:

Post a Comment