Sunday, December 1, 2013

Week 25--Elder Gleave and the Adventures of Downtown Honolulu

What"s up everyone! I believe one of the greatest things about serving a mission is all the challenges that you are presented with, and watching the Lord work through you to accomplish things that you would never accomplish by yourself.

 So if you all didn't know, I got transferred this week! I went from straight country, to complete town (that's what they call city here). I'm literally in downtown Honolulu! I went from 14,000 people in the space of 20 miles, to 548937583490257398 people in space of a few miles. Things are very, very different. It was rare to find a 3-story building in Waialua, and now I'm surrounded by 20 to 30-story apartments. Buildings are EVERYWHERE! It's literally the concrete jungle. I live next to an on-ramp for the H-1, which is the main highway here. There's lots of lots of noise! I live in like a triplex structure, and my neighbors smoke all da time. So sometimes it seeps into our place and I'm walking which is fun. Kinda...at least I'll be skinny! We probably walk like 10 miles a day, which isn't too bad. It's very overwhelming. I've been in mostly small town/country areas my whole mission, so it's definitely an adjustment! Things are for sure a struggle at first. The area I was in just had two baptisms, which was awesome, but now we aren't teaching many people. We kinda have been just walking around everywhere, knocking on people's doors, but no one is home. Things are looking up though! I saw a homeless man doing shadow puppets in the park, so that made my day a little bit better! Plus there's a 7-11 near by, so I guess you could say unlimited slurrrrrppppiiieeesssss.

On a good note, I have an awesome district! And zone! There's lots of really, really funny people here in Honolulu. There's also a lot of pressure. We see the AP's a lot, and the president is just down the road, so we gotta make sure we're on point! The first night here, we were watching a movie with our ward, and it is the "Silent Night" movie about the making of the song. Anyway, it said they were in Austria in the film, and my comp turns to me and says, "That doesn't look like Australia..." hahahaha speaking of which! My companion is really cool. He's from an island called Sipan, which is just above Guam. He speaks English really well, because they speak English there hahaha. He's really mellow and quiet, but when he says stuff, he's a funny guy! He's the only member of his family, so he's got quite the strong testimony. He's only been out 3 months, so we are still learning together.

Sunday was such a relief! I love the ward here. TONS of young couples, and they all like to talk about sports. Which is awesome. I don't think I have ever looked forward to Sunday so much. Something familiar. We have one girl, Nui, who is the girlfriend of a returned missionary that we will be teaching, so I guess there will be a baptism soon! Anyway, all in all, it's just a completely different experience. Not a bad one, just different. And I know that with the help of the Lord, I will have wonderful experiences here. I already am! I miss home a lot! especially when I got sick last week and now when things are pretty hard. I kinda wish I could just be home drinking hot chocolate doing a puzzle. BUT THE WORK MUST GO ON. He who puts his hand to the plough and looks back isn't fit for the Kingdom of God. I just wish it would change seasons....Everyone's like, oh the weather there is so nice! And I'm like where's the cold.... That's okay! I love the mission, and I love the Lord.

 I hope everyone has a good turkey day! There's so much to be thankful for here. I'm thankful for My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. For the example of enduring to the end. For the persecution and the struggles he went through everyday just to put his gospel on this Earth. He went through so much for me, I know that I can walk a few more miles for him. I'm thankful for my Father in Heaven. For his loving hand he always bestows in my life. For his continued help and mercy to someone as simple as me. I know he lives, and loves me everyday. Without these two I know I would be lost! I would be nothing. I'm thankful for Joseph Smith, and the persecution and the rage he went through to establish Christ's true church on the Earth again, and the fact that I could be a part of it. I am also thankful for you all. I love you guys so much. I'm thankful for the love and support I get each day, and the prayers you send my way! This is by far the hardest thing I've done, but it is easily the most rewarding. Anyway, I'm in the Makiki ward, which is not the ward the mission president is in (thankful).

I hope Annie gets better! Try some natural antibiotics until you know what it is!

I'm sad the donkeys lost, but it's a little bit easier being on a mission to not care as much!

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research about the second coming and Heavenly Father. Cool stuff! Should be interesting when it happens.

Anyway, I love saying anyway, but I hope you all have a good Thanksgiving! Shout out to all my Waialua homies--you guys are missed!

KEEP STRONG IN THE GOSPEL.

The gobble king.
Elder Gleave

No comments:

Post a Comment